Pebbles got mad because she didn't get any extra corn for writing a blog post for her mom, Millie. Now she doesn't want to do it again. I volunteered! I am Kizzy Kay Street.
The human calls me her Hereford. I think that's silly. I am way more cute than any old bovine. Speaking of beef, Christi at Life on our Iowa Farm is having a BBQ themed giveaway for beef month. I think that's great. Everyone should eat beef, not chevon. If you don't know what that is, good. Don't eat chevon. It is evil.
I thought since Millie likes her horns so much and is always talking about her own horns, I thought I'd let you see some of the other horns around here. As you can see, my horns are perfect boer horns. Here's Millie's horns in all their glory with cast and all.
Millie's half sister Cutie also has perfect Saanen horns--narrow, white, straight back. Those dairy horns grow so fast they get those ridges.
Marley's horns are a perfect combination of his dad's Saanen horns and his mom's boer horns. The shape is Boer but the color is Saanen.
Dolly's horns are a mystery. Her dad had horns a lot like Marley's, and her mom has Boer horns. Her grandparents have Boer horns and Saanen horns. Then her other grandmother is Mabel. Mabel has no horns, but she does carry a gene. The gene she has for horns must make these straight back, narrow, dark black horns. She is the first one born here that was ever born with this type of horn. When we were little, they looked like little devil horns.
Pam has one nice little horn and one weird thing. When she was little, she got her head stuck in the fence. Instead of waiting for the human like everyone else, she freaked out and pulled and bucked and twisted until she ripped her horn off. Now me, I'm smart enough not to get my head stuck in the first place. You have to have fence smarts if you want to survive in the pasture.
Well, this was kind of fun. Maybe I'll write for Millie again, or maybe I'll let someone else take a turn.





9 comments:
Thank you Kizzy, for telling us all about the different styles of goat horns on your farm! What a wonderful diverse group of goats you are! It was very educational. We have an angora buck with angora horns, and then our mini nubian and Nigerian dwarf goats also have horns, but they are all smaller than yours and Millie's, except for the angora buck.
The horns are very fascinating.
Now if the caprine was evil, chevon it will be!
Claire-I am a very smart goat. Almost as smart as Millie. I'm so glad I could enlighten you. We don't have angora goats here, so I don't know what those horns look like. Are they the twisty kind?
Pricilla-Our human does not do that. She doesn't eat anything but plants. In fact, we are that mythical farm in the country that animals go to.
I think you're MUCH prettier than any old cow, Kizzy! In fact, I think Boer goats are quite noble looking! And your horns are absolutely stunning!
Yours,
Neville
PS. I wish *I* had horns. I wonder if I could grow some....
Very nice horns ya'll have! We like horns here on our ranch as well! We think they are beautiful! Very smart of you to not get your head caught in the fence and you are very right, if you ever do, wait on your human to get you out!! Good advice!~
Great post Kizzy!
I know a Nubian who has horns just like Dolly's. Perhaps she has some "noob" in her?
Thanks for all the comments everyone.
Neville I definitely think you should try to grow horns. If Isobelle can try flying, anything is possible.
Texan I am definitely one of the smarter goats here. I had to have field and barnyard smarts growing up an orphan (I used to steal Millie's milk, hee hee).
Tracy-Dolly is a Mabel grandkid, so she definitely has some Nubian in her. That dairy is why she is such a skinny goat, not like me.
great blog....glad i found you! i love learning about goats!
Thanks for stopping by, Jaz.
Post a Comment