Universal Life Church | ULC

Thursday, July 29, 2010

New Moms

New moms are quite the strange breed. As soon as the babies arrive, we know to clean them off and stand still so they can nurse. We wash them and look after them. I must admit, the human has gotten soft since I had my first kids. Now she helps out by cleaning bottoms with icky colostrum poo stuck to them. I had to take care of it myself. Anyhow, my point is that new moms just know what to do.

Then, for some strange reason you get one or two that just gets stupid. Jilly decided to take her day old daughter out to pasture--the big pasture. She had to go down the lane and over "Dead Tree Hill." That's when Jilly started screaming so loudly that it got the attention of the human who was busy getting Red's head out of the fence. Jilly lost her daughter! Granted, she had located Lindy by the time the human got there, but look at the dangers. She could easily get lost in that tall grass.

Do you think these big oafs are going to be looking out for an itty bitty kid? I don't think so.

I really don't think he's a guard llama. He'd just spit at her.

There's no way she could keep up climbing around these trees.

Again, the human spoils her. She stood out there cuddling Lindy, who just slept in her arms. Jilly would take a bite and a step or two and then yell and come running back to sniff her baby. Then she'd go off and have another bite before she came back to sniff the baby again. Finally, the human took Lindy back to the barnyard and Jilly followed.

It's much safer for a little kid here.

The next day, the human told Jilly she darn well better not take that baby out to pasture. Jill was smart enough to listen. This was her reward.

The human gave her hay. I was still in the barnyard, so I got to have a snack before going out to browse. I think we should always get a snack. Jill was still a goof. She was getting worn out going between baby and hay, so she insisted Lindy come right beside her.

It's a miracle these kids survive their new moms.

5 comments:

The Chicken Keepers said...

Cute little kid! Glad the human brought the mom and baby back in.

Blessings,
The Chicken Keepers
thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com

brokenteepee said...

Mallory loses Marion now and again but Marion has such a set of lung on her she doesn't stay lost for long.

Millie said...

The human even volunteered to kid sit in the barnyard while Jilly went out to pasture. I swear she spoils these young girls.

Pricilla, Jilly has a loud mouth, too. Her baby might be mute (not really), though, so Jilly just keeps yelling and yelling and yelling...

Melodie said...

Maybe Jilly will get better with a little more practice!

Millie said...

She's already doing better. They went just a little ways out to pasture last night. Nobody got lost!