Universal Life Church | ULC

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Peachick is Gone

The other day the human spent I don't know how much time looking for the little peachick.

She could have been scratching between my horns or serving me a nice cold bowl of pink lemonade, but she was searching in the building and in the outdoor pen and even outside the pen. The little chick had taken to hopping through the wire and feasting on the hay set out for the weaned goatie girls.

She never did find the chick. At first she thought this might have been the problem.

No, not the duck. The pool. Just a couple of days before she came rushing out of the building and swooped the little thing out of the pool. I could hear her in the barn talking to it. "Oh, poor baby. You just sit here. I'll hold you under the heat lamp until you're warm and dry and fluffy."

Poor baby, heck. It's called survival of the fittest. Anyhow, she emptied the pool and got clean water, which Quackers was enjoying, but she did not find a little peabody.

That made her think the something like this might be the culprit. After all, the chick had been going out of the pen, and a raccoon could have picked it off.

Personally, I think it's way more likely that it became a snack for this.


10 comments:

Melodie said...

Oh poor chick! I am loosing baby chicks left and right around my place too...

Millie said...

The human's aunt still has one that she finished hatching in the incubator. Bob is just waiting for it to come home. Little does he know that she will pen it until it gets bigger.

brokenteepee said...

I am very sorry the little chick went missing. It's a tough time in the life of a chick. That's for sure.

With all due irony my catpha is "track"

IsobelleGoLightly said...

Poor little adventurous chick! They just aren't brilliant like goats, you know. I'm not convinced that the duck didn't have something to do with it....Quackers is laughing mysteriously there in that first photo!

Texan said...

Oh poor peachick. I tell you we can't hardly keep grown feathered animals here. I wouldnt even attempt hatching and raising babies!

Millie said...

Lots of predators here, too. That's why the birds (other than the geese) are penned. We've had them successfully raise three babies. Others have drown, killed by the cat, and one was killed in a freak windstorm when the door blew shut on it. That's bad luck. We'll see how the one remaining does with the human's aunt. It will certainly come home spoiled.

Pondside said...

Ah Millie, you're wise to the ways of the wild. Up here by the ponds we're keeping an eye on nine little ducklings that have survived for five nights now - I find myself counting them every morning.

Millie said...

Good luck to the little ducklings. I hope they make it.

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Millie ~ Sorry to hear about Peachick , although you sound a bit jealous , you silly goat. Guess you don't have to worry about her getting the human's attention anymore (LOL). But you're right about the survival of the fittest around the farm , the losses do get easier after time.

~ Be Blessed ~

The Chicken Keepers said...

Hey Millie! Cute blog... we have some goats also. Check out our blog at thechickenkeepers.blogspot.com