I've heard that if there are lots of fuzzy caterpillars, it means there will be a hard winter.
I don't know why the human listens to those things, but she said this little guy is the only one she's seen this fall.
That's way less than last year, when we had our first snow on October 10 and then had tons. I hope she's right.
What do you think? Are caterpillars good weathermen?

6 comments:
Oh yes,I do believe nature gives us lots of clues to what we will be in-store for seasonally. Last fall we had more acorns than I have ever seen and it turned out to be one of the worst winters ever for us. This year the goaties are getting their winter coats early...maybe another cold one ahead...?
We don't have many acorns either! That gives me hope the lack of caterpillars is a good sign.
I have seen lots of REALLY fuzzy blak and orange catepillars...but then perhaps they're just dressed up for Halloween?
You can keep your fuzzy caterpillars--we want a mild winter. But they are kind of cute.
We have a lot of the fuzzy black and orange striped ones right now. I heard my lady call them Woolly Bears. She said if the brown stripe is bigger than the black ones, it will be a mild winter. Right now, she said it looks about equal. Personally, I think that the woolly bear caterpillars might be aliens.
**Lucky Nickel**
We use caterpillars that local folks call wooly bears to predict the weather. Don`t recall if they predict it right most times but they`re pretty cute nonetheless! =)
Post a Comment